Thursday, September 29, 2011

Lead Foot Lara

Camille (my MIL) actually has the title of "lead foot Alice" lovingly given to her by her husband Floyd, for getting a speeding ticket before even leaving their property line in Manning. Apparently Camille had been sick for days and hadn't gotten out of the house. When she finally felt better enough to venture out of the house, she turned out of the driveway to head into town, and was so happy to be out of the house, she put the pedal to the metal. A cop pulled her over before she even got past their property line and thus, her nickname began.

I have been on night float over the past 2 weeks. Working 5 pm to 7 am sunday through thursday, and it does take a toll on you- working while everyone is sleeping, and then sleeping when everyone is working (or playing). You get lonely and for me, i miss my daily "routine." However, our night float is nice because if it isn't busy (which is rare but it does happen- SOMETIMES), you can go home- and for me, it is just a short 7 minute drive over the connector to my little James Island house.

Last night, after seeing a patient at the main hospital and having a family meeting at the ART, i found myself in a glorious position of not being needed at the hospital- and i headed home. I was a bit drained- tonight was my 10th night of night float- and just wanted to get home to my family and my sleepy bloodhound. As i drove over the connector, minding my own business and singing along with the radio, i see this:





I GOT PULLED OVER!
As i was minding my business going home, i got a ticket from the good cops of the City of Charleston- Going 42 in a 35- in a construction zone (oops).
The cop was nice, i must admit. He laughed when i gave him my credit card instead of my drivers license (and thank goodness he didn't think i was trying to pay him off). And he reduced my ticket to $81 and two points. And he nicely told me that i should slow down so that i didn't land any of the construction workers in my hospital (he saw my white coat).

So, lead foot lara is my nickname for now. My first ticket since 2000. And a good lesson to learn- don't speed when there are cops around!

No comments:

Post a Comment